Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dragon Age 2 - Coming Soon

I want to be perfectly clear right now, I would not put any time into either playing, or reviewing, Dragon Age 2 if not for Mass Effect 2. What do I mean by that? Well, as much as I loved the first Mass Effect when it came out, the sequel was so much better than it's predecessor that I was astounded. What does that have to do with Dragon Age? Well, Bioware is the company behind both titles, and while I found the first Dragon Age... lacking, I'm willing to give the second a chance based on the accomplishment of their other current major franchise.

What was it about the first Dragon Age I did not like? Mainly, it was the combat. I played the PC version of the game and was frustrated at how frequently I had to pause the game to micromanage my party in combat. Especially since I could only queue up one action at a time. While Dragon Age Origins did have an AI system that theoretically could have made that easier, it would have required way to much time to really customize and tweak. I appreciate that the developers essentially made it possible to self program the AI of your party. I did not appreciate having to play programmer while trying to engage in an immersive fantasy RPG.

Bioware did succeed in telling an interesting story, with solid characters and as usual a dialog tree so complex it would be almost impossible to see all the possible interactions without cracking open the code and looking them all up. My first play through stalled just before the start of the big End Game content. I was just tired, my party felt somewhat underpowered (common for first RPG run throughs for me) and frankly, I had no desire to go through the tedium of managing my party in a massive battle in an effort to save the world. Some hero I turned out to be.

Anyways, so, the sequel, which follows more expansions than I could be bothered to keep track of, released earlier this week. Hopefully I can get some time in with the game and get at least a early review with first impressions up in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment